• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Fixing Sleeping Pattern

OnePageMemory

Bluelighter
Im use to going to sleep around 5am and waking up around 11am or 12pm. I need to get use to getting up at 8am for a job i start in about 2 weeks. Should I just go to sleep normally at 5am and wake up at 8am and stay up all day until about 10 or 11? Whats your input?

just stay awake for a whole day and try be really tired by about 9 or 10pm..if you can get one decent sleep in at that time..that should make continuiing it alot easier

The simple answer is to force yourself to wake up at 8am and stay awake for the day afterwords. This might lead to a few very tired days but you'll be back on schedule in a week or so. Trying to force yourself to sleep is a lot more difficult than forcing yourself to stay awake.

basically get up at 8.00 am and stay awake the rest of the day. Get yourself a routine of going for a walk, then a bath with something like lavender about an hour before you do go to bed and sit with a book. Don't have a t.v. on or play computer games till you have got your routine sorted it will take a week or two to change it but you can do it and make sure you get up every morning at 8.00 and this should start the cycle.

Happens to me all the time, sometimes work related, sometimes substance related.
Staying up over a whole night is a good idea, but really difficult, try staying with folks or at a mates for a few nights and have them help.
Melatonin is supposed to be helpful, but didn't do much for me, some people swear by it.

Stay up all night/day, go to bed at ~10pm, set your alarm for 7am, then continue until your internal clock is reset.

I recently did this; switching from 3am-noon, to midnight-8am.

Usually I will just stay awake the entire time and crash the following evening to jar my body into a new schedule - though I would have done this before the first day of going to the new job. Going in groggy and sleep deprived will do you no good with the new masters. SA supplement may help get you into a new rhythm as well, take early and crash early.

I would say stay up as long as you can and then go to bed as you would when you have to work. For example if you go to bed 5 am every day don't go to bed for one night until it's a proper time (like midnight next day). Just don't use any heavy stimulants to stay up until then.
I also found taking Melatonin before going to bed to help a lot. It's a 'natural' sleep regulating hormone you can buy OTC and it helps to set the sleeping schedule quite well.